Apr 24, 2024  
2021-2022 Graduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration and Records Services


Enrollment is necessary for every period of attendance at University of Houston-Clear Lake. The Office of the Registrar sends announcements to specify times and other instructions for completing the enrollment process. Registration is completed online by logging into E-Services at www.uhcl.edu/eservices. Please refer to the Academic Calendar online for registration dates and deadlines. Students who need assistance with registration may visit the Student Enrollment Center at the UHCL campus or Enrollment Services at Pearland. Registration is not complete until tuition and fees have been paid in full. If tuition and fee payments are not received by stated deadlines, payment will be considered late. Additional questions regarding registration should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.

Degree-Seeking Versus Non-Degree-Seeking Status

  • Degree-seeking students must select courses complying with provisions of their Candidate Plan of Study (CPS). The university is under no obligation to recognize courses taken prior to approval of a CPS, as applicable to any degree.
  • Non-degree-seeking students may register for courses on a space available basis. Several programs, however, restrict availability of classes to degree-seeking students. Contact the advising office in each school for additional information. The university is under no obligation to recognize credits earned by non-degree-seeking students as applicable to any degree. Non-degree-seeking students are subject to the university’s academic standards and do not differ from degree-seeking students regarding the requirements of any other university policies. Non-degree students who have earned at least 12 credit hours by the end of the current semester will have an advising hold placed to restrict future enrollment. The student and academic school adviser must make appropriate course selections or select a specific degree program before future enrollment will be allowed. Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.

Availability of Courses

The university does not guarantee that courses listed in this catalog will be offered in any given term or year. Registration for a particular section will be permitted only until available classroom space has been filled. The university also reserves the right to cancel any course or section which, according to state policies, enrollment is deemed insufficient to split into classes that are over-enrolled and to change the instructor and/or classroom without advance notice.

Class Enrollment

Enrollment in a class is achieved only through proper registration or schedule revision procedures. Instructors receive students’ names only by official notice from the Registrar. Students will not receive credit for courses for which they are not registered. Students are responsible for ensuring that they have met any prerequisites prior to enrolling in any course. International students (F and J student visa holders) are limited to three credit hours per semester of online coursework that may be counted toward full-time enrollment per the Department of Homeland Security. The UHCL catalog provides a complete listing of courses with descriptions that include prerequisites. Course prerequisites are also shown in the class schedule. Students who enroll for courses without having met the prerequisites may be dropped from the course.

Time Conflict Enrollment

Students are not permitted to enroll in two different courses that are scheduled to meet at the same or overlapping times.

Automatic Enrollment-Graduate Option Course Work

Students’ first semester of registration for master’s thesis, project, internship, dissertations or residency must be completed in person. After the initial semester of registration in master’s thesis, project, internship, dissertations or residency, students will be automatically enrolled in the same course work each long semester (fall and spring, but not summer) until a final grade is awarded. This registration will be processed during Open Registration, and students are expected to meet the fee payment deadline for Open Registration. Students wishing to be enrolled for summer semesters must notify the Office of the Registrar prior to the beginning of the summer semester.

Late Registration

Final schedule revisions (drop/add) and late registration will be permitted during the first week of classes of a long semester. The late registration and drop/add period for the summer terms is less than one week.

Times and dates will be announced by the Office of the Registrar. No registrations or schedule changes will be permitted after late registration. A late registration fee will be charged to students who register during late registration. Students who have not paid by the payment deadline date will be charged a late payment fee.

Census Date

As defined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), the census date is the date for official enrollment reporting. For long semesters (fall and spring), the census date is the 12th class day for regular sessions and is adjusted in accordance with THECB rules for all other sessions. The census date is the last day to drop without a record and the last day to request a change on residency status for that semester. Official verifications of enrollment for a semester will begin on the day following the census date.

Registration Discrepancies

If students become aware of registration discrepancies (e.g., they are not listed on the official class roster or their class schedules do not reflect the classes being attended), they must contact the Office of the Registrar in order to correct any discrepancies. Only the Office of the Registrar is authorized to make official changes in students’ registration status.

Cancellation of Registration

Students may cancel their registration and be entitled to a full refund of tuition and refundable fees if they follow proper procedures through the Office of the Registrar before the first class day of the term (refer to Refund Policies ). Requests for cancellations may be completed through E-Services or in writing and received by the Office of the Registrar prior to the first class day of the term. Such notices may be faxed to the office at 281-283-2530 or submitted via email at registrar@uhcl.edu.

Auditing Courses

Application forms to audit a course may be obtained from the appropriate associate dean’s office. A student ID will be required in order to register for classes. Contact the Office of Admissions at 281-283-2500 or admissions@uhcl.edu for assistance if a new student ID needs to be created. Registration to audit a course is on a space-available basis. Individuals may be given permission to audit courses only after the conclusion of the regular registration period and the determination that the student is eligible, and space is available. Auditing status provides the privilege of class attendance only and does not include taking examinations, submitting papers, participating in laboratories, field work or receiving a grade in the course. Individuals auditing courses will pay the regular tuition, student services fees, specific course fees and other applicable fees indicated in this catalog. Audit students can make payment for audited classes in person at the Clear Lake and Pearland Student Business Services offices. Audit students must provide the approved Audit Application and completed Campus Audit Permit when making payment. Individuals with audit status will not be given credit status after having registered on an audit basis. Records of individuals who have audited courses will not be maintained by the university.

Fee Waiver for Senior Citizens to Audit Courses

As provided in the Texas Education Code, senior citizens, 65 years of age or older, may audit, on a space-available basis, any course offered without payment of tuition or fees. Applicants need to provide evidence of age to Student Business Services when requesting waiver of fees.

Each school’s Academic Advising office will be responsible for assisting senior citizens to determine course availability, approval of instructor, registration procedures and general auditing regulations. Applicants should contact the appropriate academic advising office for the course(s) in which they wish to audit.

College of Business Advising
College of Education Advising
College of Human Sciences and Humanities Advising
College of Science and Engineering Advising

Academic Record Services

Official student records reside and are maintained in the Office of the Registrar. Students are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of their records. Such records include, but are not limited to, personal information, home address and phone number, degree status, career (level), major and grades.

Academic Record Changes

Students wishing to change their major must obtain the Request for Academic Record Change form from the Office of the Associate Dean in the college from which they are earning their degree. Students wishing to change their career (level) or degree status should contact the Office of the Registrar for the appropriate application. Changes made after the census date will be applicable to the next semester.

Personal Information Changes

University records of students’ names and addresses are based on information given on the Application for Admission. Subsequent changes must be reported to the Office of the Registrar. Requests for name changes must be accompanied by supporting documentation. Please refer to the Personal Information Change form available online at www.uhcl.edu/registrar.

Any communication from the university mailed to the name and address or sent to the email address on record is considered to have been properly delivered.


Students may request official copies of their transcript from the Office of the Registrar. Transcript requests can be made online through student E-services, fax or mail. There is no additional charge for transcripts. Transcript requests by fax or by mail must include all of the following:

  • The name of the student.
  • UHCL student ID.
  • A clear copy of a government issued photo ID.
  • The number of copies requested.
  • The address it is to be mailed to or whether it will be picked up.
  • A phone number where the student may be reached.
  • The signature of the student whose record is requested.

Requests without a verifiable signature cannot be processed. Written requests can be mailed to University of Houston-Clear Lake, Office of the Registrar, 2700 Bay Area Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77058-1098 or faxed to 281-283-2530. Telephone requests or e-mails will not be honored. For same day requests, please visit the Student Enrollment Center on the UHCL campus or at the Enrollment Services counter at the Pearland Campus.

Students who have encumbrance holds placed on their permanent records will be denied transcript services until the specific obligations have been met.

UHCL transcripts contain only academic information and course work pursued at UHCL. Requests are limited to 10 copies per request form.

Transcripts from other institutions submitted to UHCL become the university’s property and will not be reproduced and/or mailed to other institutions. Students may not obtain copies of their transcripts from other institutions. Transcripts from other institutions are destroyed five years after the last term of attendance.

Enrollment and Degree Verifications

The University of Houston-Clear Lake has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide degree and enrollment verification through their enrollment verify services. Students have access to print a proof-of-enrollment verification online through their E-services account. For more information about the National Student Clearinghouse, please visit www.uhcl.edu/registrar.

Student Notification of Rights under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) afford eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records (an “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a post-secondary institution). These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day the University of Houston-Clear Lake receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official will arrange for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

A student who wishes to request amendment of a record should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed and specify why it should be changed.

If the school decides not to amend the record as requested, the school will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

  1. The right to provide written consent before the university discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

The school discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University of Houston-Clear Lake in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of regents; or, a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of the University of Houston-Clear Lake who performs an institutional service or function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University of Houston-Clear Lake. The University of Houston-Clear Lake may disclose a student’s education records to other institutions if the student seeks or intends to enroll in the other institution and the institution has requested the records.

  1. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the school to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

See the list below of the disclosures that post-secondary institutions may make without consent.

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in §99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, §99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. A postsecondary institution may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student-

  • To other school officials, including faculty members, within that school whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in §99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) - (a)(1)(i)(B)(2) are met. (§99.31(a)(1))
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of §99.34. (§99.31(a)(2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U. S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State post-secondary authority that is responsible for supervising the university’s State-supported education programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of §99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (§99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid.(§99.31(a)(4))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction. (§99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. (§99.31(a)(7))
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (§99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (§99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to §99.36( §99.31(a)(10))
  • Information the school has designated as “directory information” under §99.37 (§99.31(a)(11))
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of §99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding. (§99.31(a)(13))
  • To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, subject to the requirements of§99.39, if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. (§99.31(a)(14))
  • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (§99.31(a)(15))

If you have any questions regarding these policies, please feel free to contact the Office of the Registrar at (281)283-2525 or via email at registrar@uhcl.edu.

Policy on Release of Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 is a federal law stating that (a) a written institutional policy must be established and that (b) a statement of adopted procedures covering the privacy rights of students be made available. The law provides that institutions will maintain the confidentiality of student education records.

UHCL accords all the rights under the law to students who are declared independent. No one outside the institution shall have access to, nor will the institution disclose, any information from students’ education records without the written consent of students except with exceptions permitted under the act (see Student Notification of Rights Under FERPA).

Within UHCL, only those members individually or collectively acting in students’ educational interest are allowed access to student education records. These members include personnel in the office of the president, senior vice president and provost, vice president for administration and finance, deans, associate deans, student services, computing services, student business services, accounting, career and counseling services, student life, health center, financial aid, member of academic, grade and honesty appeal committees and academic personnel within the limitations of their need to know.

At its discretion, the University of Houston-Clear Lake may provide “directory information” to the general public without student consent.

Directory information is defined by the University of Houston-Clear Lake as follows (within guidelines of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974):

  • Student name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • University e-mail address
  • Date and place of birth
  • Major field of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Classification
  • Hours enrolled
  • Date of graduation
  • Photographs
  • Degrees, awards and honors received
  • Most recent previous educational agency or institution attended
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports

“Student” means a person who (a) is currently enrolled at the University; (b) is accepted for admission or readmission to the university; (c) has been enrolled at the University in a prior semester or summer term and is eligible to continue enrollment in the semester or summer term that immediately follows; or, (d) is attending an additional program sponsored by the university while that person is on campus. Students who do not wish that public information (including their name, address and phone number)be released can go online at www.uhcl.edu/eservices and select all information to be restricted from release (with the noted exceptions for Release to Publications) according to Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 guidelines and policies.

The law provides students with the right to inspect and review information contained in their education records, to challenge the contents of their education records, to have a hearing if the outcome of the challenge is unsatisfactory, and to submit explanatory statements for inclusion in their files if they feel the decisions of the hearing panel to be unacceptable. To review records, a student must make a request in writing to the Office of the Registrar. The request must identify the record or records he or she wishes to inspect. In compliance with FERPA, UHCL will provide the student’s records for review within 45 days from the day the university receives the request.

Students may delegate access to their records to a third party. Students wishing to give individuals (such as parents) access to their records may complete in person an Authorization to Release Educational Records.

This form can be completed in person at the following offices: Office of Financial Aid, Student Business Services, Student Enrollment Center, or Academic advising offices.

Students may request letters of recommendation or evaluations from faculty and staff. Typically, letters of recommendation or evaluations will be very general in nature. These documents will not disclose identifiable information obtained from a student’s education record (GPA, grades, etc.). As such, letters of recommendation and evaluations may be provided without a formal written release. However, the student must request the letter of recommendation or evaluation (either verbal or written). If the student requests identifiable information to be disclosed (GPA, grades, etc.) in the document, the student must provide a written release. In addition, faculty and staff members may request a written release for any circumstance if desired. Faculty and staff reserve the right to decline a request to provide are commendation or evaluation.

Communication with Students

The university-assigned campus email address is the official means of communication for all student-related information and exchanges among academic and administrative offices.

Students should check their UHCL e-mail accounts regularly to receive information from university offices. For information regarding UHCL e-mail, or to log in, go to http://webmail.uhcl.edu. Students have the ability to forward their UHCL e-mail account to a preferred e-mail account. Students interested in this option should visit University Computing and Telecommunications’ website at www.uhcl.edu/uct.

From time-to-time, university offices may employ other means of communication. Those avenues of communications include texting, calling, and snail mail. In some circumstances, automated calling (typically referred to as “robocalls”) and texting may be used to notify students of important deadlines.

If students do not wish to receive automated text messages or phone calls, students may call 1-855-502-7867 to “opt-out” of these communications. Students opting out may miss important deadlines, which could jeopardize enrollment at the University of Houston-Clear Lake.

For additional information on opting out of automated text messages or phone calls, please contact the Office of the Registrar.